Friday, January 30, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII

I love the Super Bowl.  When I lived in Dallas, the Cowboys were in their glory years with the Troy Aikman era.  MMMMmmmmm, Troy Aikman.  So, it was always a festive time.  We got to buy a new TV for the playoffs and that was memorable.  I think 2 years in a row, I had to call in sick to work on the day after with what I termed, "Super Bowl Flu."  Have you had it?  It usually is gone by noon with the help of a greasy cheeseburger.  As much as I always enjoyed the festivities, it pales in comparison to Nick.  When he was 4, after the Super Bowl ended, he threw himself down on the floor in tears.  "What's wrong?" I asked.  "There is no more football for 8 months," he replied back through sobbing cries.  "Well, next week there is the Pro Bowl," I said. He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "That doesn't count because it's not a real game."  I knew right then it was going to take someone very special for him to spend the rest of his life with.  Someone who really enjoyed the game, and would think it was cute when he started quizzing them on how many times a particular team had been in the Super Bowl and their records for the past 10 years.  God speed, poor soul.  That unsuspecting person has no idea right now what they will be getting into.

Nick has logged 20 hours this week of pre-game TV.  He has the background story on every player, knows the line on the game, and has even talked to his Dad about placing a bet for him.  I realize I am in the gamblin biz, but have you ever tried to place a sports bet?  Next to speaking in front of large crowds, I find it the most intimidating thing I've ever done, so I've only done it once.  I couldn't tell you if I won or not because I didn't know what I was doing.  The betting is especially crazy in this game.  Here are some of the weird bets you can make (I have put in the latest line if you're interested):

  • Coin Toss
  • Total distance on the first punt of the game Over/Under 41.5 yards
  • Total kickoff returns by both teams - Over/Under 9.5
  • What color will (Cardinals owner) Bill Bidwell's bow tie be?
    • Red -600
    • Any other color +400
    • Bidwell must be seen on camera wearing a bow tie during the game for this to be an official play
  • How long will it take Jennifer Hudson to sing the National anthem? Over/Under 1:54
  • Will a cheerleader's nipple fall out of her costume on national TV, creating a wardrobe malfunction? (ok, maybe I made that one up)

No, I'm not encouraging the boy to gamble, but if he can exercise his brilliant math mind on a few statistical options for me, I'm down with that.  Mama needs a new pair of shoes!

So, I asked Nick if he wanted to have people over, and he responded with a resounding NO.  Why you might ask?  He doesn't like people over because they distract him from watching the game. They always do that annoying thing called talking and he might miss something.  Oh, and he doesn't like to share his poppers.  He has requested that everyone get their own box so they don't have to share.  I usually give everyone 2 or 3, and because this is such a big game, that is totally not acceptable.  We are also having pulled pork sandwiches, pigs in blankets, spinach dip with pita chips, hummus, chicken kabobs (as seen on Biggest Loser this week), veggie tray (which Nick crossed off my menu list when I wasn't watching), and a cheese tray.  The princess has requested brie and smoked apple cheddar. 

If I were having people over, I would go to Home Depot and get some Astroturf to use as my tablecloth on the buffet table.  I might even put in the hash marks and paint the team names and logos in the end zones.  I would also pull out all Nick's football stuff to use for decoration.  Since it's just us and princess has announced she will not be watching the game because she can't follow it, I think I will just throw the food on the table.  Hope you get to have a party.  What are you making?

No comments: