Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year, New Goals (or same ones as always)

So the calendar flipped into 2009 and here we are.  I feel like I should be doing something. The beginning of the year is like having a restart button, or a do over, if you will.  I've never been good at holding myself to a "New Year's Resolution" so I don't do one.  Oh, and don't you hate it when people ask you what your resolutions are for the year?  I mean, it's usually really personal and something you don't like about yourself.  You never hear someone saying, "I've decided that this year I'm going to eat like a pig and gain 20 pounds, spend all my money and be homeless." One of my favorite journalists, Jack Germond, a salty old liberal who used to write for the Baltimore Sun,  had the same New Year's Resolution every year which I now have adopted. "I'm going to drink less, smoke less, and suffer fools gladly."  My mantra going into 2009.  I don't smoke but I also don't suffer fools gladly either.  I am training for a new triathlon.  I'm doing it with a group so hopefully that will help with the training.  They aren't there everyday to make you do something.  Notice I'm not at the pool right now which is where I should be.  More on that tomorrow, or the next day, or whenever I get around to it.

As you know, I'm addicted to the Martha Stewart radio channel on Sirius 112 or XM 157, and they started a 35 day health challenge on the Whole Living channel if you're interested.  I signed up but not really all that interested.  As you know, it is Wednesday and it really started on Monday so I can't join mid-week.  It also has a no meat first week policy and I love meat, and a no alcohol policy and I love alcohol.  I'm not quite sure this is the program for me, but I feel pressured to have a resolution. 

According to the Internet, the most popular resolutions are :

  • Lose Weight (year long battle)
  • Manage Debt (Manage to keep the debt below head level)
  • Save Money (See below - first things first)
  • Get a Better Job (or just a job at this point would be good)
  • Get Fit (Like 6 pack abs or just able to button my pants?)
  • Eat Right (Less cupcakes, more tofu)
  • Drink Less Alcohol (Hmmmm, no?)
  • Quit Smoking (Check)
  • Reduce Stress Overall (Really not that stressed right now)
  • Reduce Stress at Work (I have NO stress at work)
  • Take A Trip (That doesn't mean Missouri for Christmas)
  • Volunteer to Help Others (Yeah, Yeah)

Did you pick yours?  Go ahead, take one and make it your own.  Then we can all feel like losers together when we've blown it off by President's Day.

No comments: