Friday, January 9, 2009

Swimming, Biking, Running, and Leukemia

I've been warning you this was coming...

My sister, Sandi, died in 2002 of Acute Myelogenous Leukemia.  She was 39 years old. It was absolutely horrible.  She was in terrible pain in her back, and went all over Springfield, MO, begging doctors for help for months.  At one point, they even suggested putting her in the psych ward for evaluation because there was nothing physically wrong with her.  Her ex-husband was on the local Red Cross board with a neurosurgeon who agreed to see her.  He did a full blood panel, which no one else had done, and a body scan.  After 4 fruitless months of trying to figure out what was wrong, she was diagnosed on Memorial Day.  To say that the medical treatment she received was a clusterfuck would be an understatement.  Her primary Oncologist would come in and talk to her and tell her the things he learned the night before on the Internet and possible courses of action for her treatment.  NEVER ONCE did they say, you should get your affairs in order.  She went through all the hells of chemo and all the treatment plans.  She had the resources to go to other hospitals in the country, but they never told her how bad it was.  I don't think it ever really crossed her mind that she might die. 

She started developing fluid around her heart and I decided to come in for the weekend from Phoenix since she wasn't doing well and it was the weekend before school started.  When I arrived, she said, "Wow, I must be really sick if they called you to come."  I asked what she was on because she was kind of loopy, and they said she was on no meds.  She was scheduled for surgery the next morning at 6:00 am.  I arrived about 5:30 and she was unconscious.  She would mumble words, calling out for her kids by name, but never waking up.  No one came to get her for her surgery.  Her husband, my sister, and my mom showed up a little while later but still no one came.  We asked the nurse who said she would send in the doctor as soon as she arrived.  Sandi's regular doctor was off for a few days, and this woman was on call.  She finally came in the room and told us that Sandi wouldn't make it through the weekend.  We were completely shocked.  We called for her kids to come, and when they arrived, she did open her eyes and say their names.  We are thankful for that, at least.  The doctors were actually right on this one, she didn't make it through the weekend.

She was gone August 10th.  She left behind two boys who were 14 and 15 who were at a time in their life when they needed their Mom.  They still do.

I have decided to complete a triathlon in Las Vegas on April 19th in her honor and at the same time, raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  I am working with an organization called Team in Training who will train me while I raise money for them.  I've always wanted to do this, but now I feel I need to do this if I can prevent one more family from going through the pain.  Maybe one more kid can have his Mom around when he needs her.

I'm asking for your help with a donation.  I know it is a terrible economy and the Christmas credit cards bills are rolling in, but if you can help at all, it is really a worthwhile cause.  To donate, you can click on My fundraising web page and you can donate online.

I will also be sending out an email for those of you in my email list so please don't get offended if you see this twice. 

I will be letting you know how my training is going, which seems to be at a standstill right now until I get rid of the Oompa Lumpa rash on my face, but I will get back to it as soon as I can. 

Thanks for this.  I will now return you to your regularly scheduled blog reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in---and when you come to KC in a couple of weeks, your training is continuing! I will make you go to my gym/pool/track, so get ready my friend! No vacation from reaching your goal!--your slave driving friend--kb

Melissa said...

Thanks, Krys. Let's do the 5K while I'm there. See if you can get a sitter. You can wait for me at the finish line cuz I'm running slow these days.