Monday, January 26, 2009

The Lazy Friend

Last week, I had a great lunch with my friend, Margo, whom I adore hanging around.  When we get together,we always have a great time talking about the kids, husbands, jobs (or lack thereof), plastic surgery wishes, and all necessary items.  We laugh and always talk about how nice it is to have a normal friend in this weird town. 

We never see each other. 

We probably get together 2-3 times a year.  When we meet in the middle, it takes each of us about 15 minutes to get there, so it's not inconvenient.  She works at home and I don't work, so we have the time.  We always have fun when we see each other.  So, what's the problem?  Why don't we talk or see each other more?  I like to blame it on The Lazy.  I am a very lazy friend.  I want friends.  I like friends.  I just don't put forth the effort to grow the friendship.  That being said, I have a circle of friends I've had since I was in middle school.  That's fairly amazing.  How many of you out there still talk to people you knew 25 years ago, especially when you were kids? 

Krys, who is one of my bestest friends, is the polar opposite of The Lazy Friend.  She always makes sure we keep in touch, sets up the Christmas reunions every year, and generously used her frequent flyer miles to fly me out to play with her over the weekend. (psst...I snuck Gravy home in my suitcase.  I hope she doesn't notice.  I plan to give her back when she starts talking.)  I had such a  great time.  We cooked, played with the kids, drank our share of red wine, built a fire, set up her iTouch, and just hung out. Our main accomplishment outside of the house one day was to go to Starbucks. I don't have friends anymore to hang out with.  You know, where you could just drop by their house with a 5 minute notice, and they don't care if the house is clean or not because they are just glad to see you?  The ones that don't mind when you wear the same sweatshirt for three days in a row?  Or that don't mind when you kid barfs on them?  I have a friend in Vegas that I talk to on the phone almost everyday, but hardly ever see.  My phone friend.  Krys has gym friends.  They talk everyday and she knows things about their lives, but not their names.  I have previous work friends, Facebook friends, industry friends, shopping friends, old friends, new friends, distant friends, bestest friends, and casual friends.  Do you know what kind of friend I would really like?  A private plane friend.  A really close friend who would loan out her private jet.  How about a Caribbean Villa friend? 

One night, Krys and I got out the old photos.  Another thing I love about her.  She has them organized, and in a box by date, etc.  Some are in photo albums, or they were until I ripped them out.    There I was, ripping photos out of her organized photo album, and she didn't care at all.  She said they needed to be posted, and she was right.  I hope I asked her before I did it because that's what a good friend would have done, but I probably didn't because I'm The Lazy Friend.

These are photos from a toga party in high school.  Anyone who can help me with the names will get a "I'm not a Lazy Friend" button.

Toga High school 1

toga high school2

toga high school3 

Thanks, Krys, for keeping the photos and letting me rip them out so we can share.  I will be posting to Facebook soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that you in the back with no toga? Nice hair!!

Lori