Thursday, December 11, 2008

Holiday Traditions and Smelly Washers

I have the link to the magazine article that was the reason why my Christmas decorations were up at Halloween.  There might be a bit of creative license involved so don't call me a liar (Vicki).  My memories of family traditions are my memories, and while not completely factual, are mine nonetheless.  If you're bored and enjoy a bit of fiction, the link is Summerlin Magazine.

Now to the important stuff - the smelly washer.  For those of you not keeping up, the front loading washing machines have a very annoying problem of making towels smell mildewy.  So, I tried this product Smelly Washer.  Doesn't work.  I will admit if you put it in with your towels, they smell nice.  Downy does the same thing.  So, I would save your $20.  I took apart the washer as best I could and bleached the thing within an inch of its life.  Works fine until you use it again.   I think I know the problem, though.  The seal is so tight on the front loading machines so the water doesn't leak that it traps all the water in and creates mildew.  EEEEWWWWW  Best solution I can come up with other than buying a top loader is to leave the door open. 

2 comments:

Suzanne-Michele said...

Sigh...so no hope for the smelly washer :-( Thanks for the update. I'll just keep running a load of bleachy-something once a week to keep it in check. Appreciate your willingness to be a "guinea pig"

Anonymous said...

Ahh man! I will let u take mine apart when u get here--keep in mind it is located in the dungeon in the basement so there is potential for other scarey, smelly stuff in the same vicinity--something to look forward to!--Krys