Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Monday Morning Quarterback Syndrome: An Analysis

Fortune magazine ran a cover story in a July issue called, How I'll Fix The Economy, which discusses in detail how each candidate will address the economy and get it moving again.  I'm sorry, but if they both have such great ideas, WHY DO WE NEED TO WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE ELECTED TO IMPLEMENT?  I mean, if one of the candidates stepped up and started to roll out and implement a plan to fix the economy, wouldn't they be assured of victory?  They spend millions of dollars on advertising accusing each other of being Washington insiders.  Of course, they are all Washington insiders.  That is their job.  This is their industry.  THEY ALL WORK IN GOVERNMENT.  It would be weird if a professional bowler ran for President.  He would be justified running the Washington insider campaign, but these guys, not so much.  I have an idea, how about instead of spending all that money telling us things we already know and don't give a crap about, let's take that advertising money and hire some economist and business professionals to hash out their great plans.  Even if one of the candidates doesn't get elected, it would still give them a legacy.  See, it's not that hard to fix things.  The Monday morning quarterback syndrome is alive and well, and I blame reality television.

For me, it started with singing and knowing exactly when a song was pitchy or if it was a wrong song choice.  Then, came the dancing.  Their moves aren't tight enough, their range of motion limited, or they did not have good lines.  I know who is the best, of course I do.  I am often incredulous at the results from the supposed real judges.  I know what designs will work for the mass market and which will go straight to the trash or straight to couture.  I could've picked the next Pussy Cat Doll from the auditions.  Ditto for the new Elle in Legally Blonde: The Musical.  The Olympics catapulted me into an entire new range of sports which gave me a new forum to hone my skills.  Take Gymnastics, for instance.  Thanks to the Olympics, all I need is to figure out the mathematics behind the deductions, and I can be a judge.  You should have seen me from my living room.  A thing of beauty.  I knew exactly what went wrong and why WAY before Bella told me. 

I think many of you feel the same way.  We judge each performance with analysis and criticism that we feel should be heard, either by family, friends, or the water cooler.  It's too bad that TV has created this entire country of experts with no outlet.  Where can our voice be heard?  Because, we know how to do better even if we can't or don't want to do it ourselves.  We are just here to make you better.

No comments: