Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Grind - Tuesday

Eventually, I will re-format my blog to include dinner ideas and recipes and that section will be titled, The Grind. Get it? The nightly dinner chore is such a grind, blah blah blah. Anywho, until I get that going, my other posts will be peppered in with the dinner stuff. Also going to try to take photos but I keep forgetting once it is plated. At that point I yell, "Come get your damn dinner. It aint gonna eat itself."

Tuesday Dinner - Sliders, Pumpkin Sage Risotto, and the leftover Haricot Verts with Shallots.

I already got feedback that meat AND risotto was a faux pas, so I guess I screwed up dinner before even starting to cook.
Conservatively, I spend 5 hours a week shopping at Albertsons. I also go to Whole Foods / Whole Paycheck if I need certain things or am feeling particularly wealthy. I set out yesterday to buy my stuff for dinner. The risotto recipe calls for you to roast a pumpkin. No canned stuff. Have you ever done that? First of all, I go to the produce section and there are no pumpkins. Really? You would think at this time of year pumpkins would be everywhere. So, I asked the produce dude, "Where are your pumpkins?" He got this huge smile on his face like he was going to reply with some inappropriate comment, and informed me they were outside. Really? So, I have to turn around, take my cart full of shit back outside where the wind is blowing 40 miles per hour to look for a pumpkin? I politely asked if they had any in back, told him I needed a pie pumpkin, and could he get one for me. Jeez. This little incident was a foreshadowing of what to come.
Last year I peeled a butternut squash for the first time and roasted that for soup. I thought that was bad, and then I discovered that Whole Foods / Whole Paycheck sells it already cut up in little cubes. Oh, it will cost you. It costs you plenty. I think about 1/4 butternut squash cut up is about $8.00. I think it's worth it.
I think the pumpkin is worse. Of course, you have to cut it, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff, and peel it. It's that whole peeling thing that takes forever. It took me 30 minutes to prepare it for the oven. Maybe I just wasn't doing it right. I then roasted it, and it tasted like butternut squash, or a sweet potato. I think I would substitute another root vegetable.
I cook risotto in a pressure cooker, which I also use for pork shoulder roasts and other meats that need time to cook down. This will change your life. You wouldn't mind making risotto every night. You just put it all in and it comes out done. No constant stirring. The resident Italian gives it a thumbs up, so you know the consistency is right or else we wouldn't get to use it. Oooh, and the best part? The leftover risotto for risotto cakes the next day.
This recipe made WAY too much. I would half it. I'm trying out different recipes because I'm making this and risotto cakes on Christmas eve.
Bon Appetit!

PUMPKIN SAGE RISOTTO
· 1 small (1 3/4 pounds) pumpkin , peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
· 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
· 6 cups chicken broth
· 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
· 1/3 cup chopped shallots
· 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
· 2 cups Arborio rice
· 1 cup dry white wine , such as Pinot Grigio
· 2 T chopped fresh sage
· 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese , plus more for serving
Spread the pumpkin on a baking sheet and toss with one tablespoon of the oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Bake until tender, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
In a pressure cooker, heat the butter and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir until it turns opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the unheated broth and the wine. Smash about 8 pieces of the pumpkin and add it now. Lock the lid in place and bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust the heat to maintain high pressure. Cook for 7 minutes. Release the pressure according to the manufacturer's instructions or place the pot under cold water. Carefully open the lid, being careful of the steam. Stir in the rest of the pumpkin, cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the sage.

No comments: