Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Dinner Grind

My biggest problem with cooking is what to make.  Yes, I have the Epicurious App on my iPhone and do use it quite frequently, but I am always looking for good ideas.  I know there are some of you out there who plan their whole week in advance with the menu, go to the store, etc.  I bow down to you.  I know this would make my life easier, but I just don't have it in me.  Maybe one week I will try, as an experiment, and let you know how it goes.  For now, I'm going to share some of my recipes and nightly cooking escapades. 

This was yesterday's dinner:

I asked Robert for ideas about 2:00 in the afternoon, because if I couldn't obsess over it all day long, it wouldn't be a proper dinner.  He suggested Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider and Sage, which I paired with Roasted Garlic and Cheese Mashed Potatoes, and Haricot Verts with Shallots.

Went shopping and bought the pork tenderloin.  Why do they come in two?  I  only wanted one.  Had I wanted or needed two, I would have bought two.  So, here is the dilemma.  Do I freeze the second one, grill it, double the recipe (which almost never works for me), or what?  The meat department has added to my stress and it really pisses me off.  The first thing is to cut the fat and the silverskin off the pork tenderloin.  Why?  I just do what I'm told because I don't have time to look up why we must do such things.  Is the world going to come to an end if I leave the silverskin on?  Ok, for you Internet, I just looked it up.  I got to the point where they said it was a membrane and decided that was good enough reason to take it off.  Something else about toughness and meat curling.  Could've lived with those things, but the membrane thing is gross.  Really, cooking in general is really gross.  We are taking parts of an animal and getting real friendly with membranes, innards, skin, fat, etc.  If it weren't so tasty, it would make you want to be a vegetarian.  Anywho, I decided to go ahead and fix all the meat.  The kids can have little pork sandwiches for snacks after school. 

The pork was just ok.  The potatoes were a little grainy.  The green beans ROCKED.  Here is the recipe for that:

Haricot Verts with Shallots

Haricots Verts (french green beans) about a pound

1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil (not sure if I used this much)

2 t Dijon Mustard

2 t White Wine Vinegar (I usually make my own)

1 big shallot

Steam green beans until just tender. I like mine crunchy, Lori. While they are steaming, whisk together remaining ingredients and add salt and pepper to taste.

Toss beans with dressing.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Tonight?  Sliders with Pumpkin Risotto and some vegetable I haven't come up with.  Bon Appetit!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to like mine with onion, basil, and garlic cooked in chicken broth for at least an hour. Nice and tender! Lori

Anonymous said...

Can we not just call them French Green Bean? Haricot Vorts or verts or whatever sounds like an STD.--From--of course, Krys

Melissa said...

Ok, Krys, for you we will just call em beans. Them beans were tasty!

Melissa said...

Lori - I know you like your beans dead. No hint left of a nutrient and they actually melt in your mouth.