Friday, April 3, 2009

The Super Nanny Paddy Wagon

I hope I don't offend anyone who might own this car, but cars, like clothes, are extremely personal.  What works for one might not work for another.  For instance, you won't see me in leather pants but I'm ok if you want to wear them. 

Welcome to my lovely Arizona rental car.  I looked good while tooling around town in this thing.  Pretty much had to fight off the men trying to peek in the car to see who was driving such an awesome car.

IMG00005

I'm not sure Chevy's intention for making this car.  What is it?  A car, meat delivery truck, station wagon, paddy wagon, London taxi, or the Super Nanny car?  I'm guessing they weren't big sellers which is why you now find them in Avis' fleet of rentals.  It is not a beautiful vehicle.  When I would come to a stoplight, people would point and laugh.  It is also terribly uncomfortable.  I can't imagine how a normal (not short) person would fit in  this car.  I'm 5'2 and felt cramped.  I think this is Chevy's answer to the PT Cruiser.  While I would probably not purchase a PT Cruiser, I think they are cute and have some personality.  Hmmm, could this be part of the reason why GM is in trouble?  So, when they are in a design meeting and this comes up, why doesn't someone shout out, "No, No, No, unless we are naming this the Fugly, we are not making this car."  Or, maybe they could come up with something original because this bears a striking resemblance to a late 40's Chevy.  I'm just saying.

I guess I should count myself lucky.  When I returned it, someone next to me was returning the same car but in purple.  The Barneymobile.  I'm asking for that one when I go back in a couple of weeks.  AWESOME!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melissa, when I called it a Paddy Wagon in a blog, I was called racist; like I don't have a spot in my heart for the Irish. Not my fault they drink like fishes.

I'm with you...the car has too much something.