Sunday, April 19, 2009

It was a GREAT day!!

The triathlon was amazing.  Our team raised over $30,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and I did this in honor of my sister, Sandi, who died of Leukemia.  Here is a run down of the day.

Woke up at 3:50 am.  Yikes.  Then had to eat breakfast.  Now I don't know about you, but I'm not really hungry at that time but it is important to shove it down.  The only time I have ever eaten at 4:00 am was usually a Waffle House, and I was almost always real sorry the next day.  Ew.  I then drove for an hour to the lake.  So, I'm there by 5:15, pump up my tires, and haul all my crap to the transition area in the dark.  We were lucky enough to have our own Team in Training bike rack so we could all be together. 

Here is the group before the event. 

team photo first thing

My AWESOME coaches, Kevin and Chuck.

coach kevin and chuck

One of our team members forgot his wetsuit.  He had to call an ex-girlfriend who still has a key at 5:30 in the morning, ask her to drive 20 minutes to his house, get the wetsuit, and drive it to the lake.  Wow.  I guess their relationship ended on a good note.

In the wetsuit we head down to the freezing cold water. The coaches advise you to pee in your wetsuit when you get in the water.  Everyone does it.  Except me.  I can't.  First of all, it's too cold but mostly I just don't get peeing on myself and then sweating during the bike and swim.  Talk about needing a shower.  I have tried, but I have wetsuit fright.

sun coming up for swim

Away, we go for our 1/2 mile swim!   I did NOT take my coach's advice and take a practice swim which probably cost me 3 minutes in the swim because I panicked.  When you first go out there, you get a feeling like you can't breathe and a bit claustrophobic because of the wetsuit and the cold temperature sending your heart rate soaring away.  There was a woman I didn't know who completely panicked and took off her wetsuit while in the lake and swam back to shore.  By the time she arrives, her body temp is down to 90 and she went away in the ambulance.  I just dog paddled for a bit until I gained my composure but lost time. 

on the swim

Coming out of the lake.  I did the swim in 18:11, but should have been better.  Oh, is that why they have coaches?

Rage - coming out of water

I have NEVER had so many pictures of my ass.  It looks even bigger, if that is possible, in a wetsuit.  Wow, it is humongous.

finished with run

Off to transition to bike.  You strip off your wetsuit, shove your wet feet into your socks, put on your helmet, and hop on your bike.  There is a bit of transition going from horizontal to vertical, so it takes a minute to get rid of your sea legs.  Seriously, did I pick out those glasses?  Yikes.

bike transition close

Basically, you're dripping water until about 5 miles into the bike.  The bike was pretty uneventful.  I felt well trained for that and was glad I had done most of the course.  There was this killer hill at the end of the ride that we hadn't seen.  Our coaches thought they should save a surprise for us.  Gee, thanks.  The bike was 20K and I did it in 54:12 minutes.

After the bike in the transition area getting advice from Coach Chuck.  I wasn't happy with my stomach at this point.  Too much Gatorade, I think.  Man, I hate that stuff.  Notice how neat and tidy the transition area is by mid race?  Take off the helmet and bike shoes, shove on the running shoes, hat, and take a hit off the inhaler.  I have Exercised Induced Asthma.  It is self-diagnosed and something I will probably take up with a sports doc pretty soon.

advice from coach

On the run.

On the run

Have I mentioned how much I hate running?  It is something I will be working on for the next 6 months to prepare for a big race in October.  So, don't laugh at me but it was a 5K and it took me 38:43 to complete.  Did I mention the first mile was uphill in the sand and rock?

Crossing the finish line.  The time above was the clock for the Half Ironman people, so doesn't reflect my time of 1:56:06.  I'm one one in purple.

crossing finish line

Me and Taylor after it was all over.  Wow, those glasses must get lost soon.  Very soon.

me and tay

All the personal bests were secondary to why we were really there, and that was to raise money for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  TNT (Team in Training) is an amazing organization that will train you do to a marathon or a triathlon while you raise money for them.  Several people have started their career or general obsession with sports through them.  If you ever thought of doing one of these endurance events, I suggest you go through them.  I met some really great people, and had a blast.  Was it work?  Absolutely!  My friend describes it a bit like childbirth.  You hate it while it is going on but afterward forget it because of how great you feel. 

Thanks so much to everyone who donated for this race.  You are all amazing friends!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing....anything else is just icing on the cake!! I can tell when I talk to Julia she really misses Sandi....I know she would be proud of you also!!! We lost my sister-in-law in December to breast cancer, she was only 37.Take care of yourself!!Alexis

Anonymous said...

I still can't decide if I admire you or think you're completely insane. There is nobody big enough to chase me 5K. I do know that you worked really hard for this and I am very proud of you!!!!
Lori

Anne said...

Congratulations - I'm so proud of you. You worked so hard, set a goal and did it - way to go!

Anonymous said...

yay! You did awesome. I loved your recap, especially your self diagnosis! I absolutely admire you. Capri

Anonymous said...

OK--you were flying on the 5K girly! That is running less than 10 minute miles and after a swim and a bike that's amazing! You are finally getting your '1st' sports related 'injury'--the asthma deal. You always wanted a sports related injury and this is just the beginning my friend! I am so very proud of you--never did I dream that my little Melissa would turn out to be an athlete (of any kind) much less a triathlete. We shall celebrate 5/9 in LV!!! Gatorade, I mean, beers for all!--Krys

SJC said...

DAMN!! You go girl! I'm very impressed.