Friday, March 13, 2009

Tell me a story

I had a friend who was at the airport this week and called and said she was bored.  "Tell me a story," she says.  So, I thought for a second and decided to go with a good work story.  For a little background, I previously worked for an Australian company.  Their motto?  "Work hard, play hard."  I'm not sure how hard they worked but they definitely played hard.  Drinking was the culture at the company.

About 5 years ago, we were at a gaming trade show in Phoenix.  After the night's activities (which no doubt included drinking of some sort), we went to the hotel bar at the Sheraton.  A good time was had by all, some had a better time than probably necessary.  So, one of the Australian executives of the company stumbles out of his chair, said he's had enough, and is going to turn in.  Good idea, we all thought.  He goes to the elevator and heads upstairs.  About 30 minutes later, we noticed that this executive was talking to hotel management while trying to manage to keep upright.  He always had a really loud voice, and we could hear him yelling at the poor guy trying to help him.  "My ***ing key to my room won't work.  I walked all the way up there and the Go**amn key won't work."  The manager is apologizing profusely.  All of us watching the spectacle are laughing so hard we have tears running down our faces.  We finally decide to put him out of his misery.  One of my coworkers goes over to him, puts his hand on his shoulder and says, "Steve, we are staying at the Marriott."

No comments: