Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 1 - South Beach

I woke up feeling really crappy.  I was so cold and couldn't get warmed up, and I was a little sick to my stomach.  I went back to bed after I dropped off the kids for an hour and seem to be recovering.  I made these little quiche things that were in the SB book, and I thought they were disgusting.  I can make them better and will.  I would rather have no cheese then a fat-free cheese.  Yuck.  Also, not a big fan of things processed, and the cheese seems so fake.  Not like the deliciousness of, say, Velveeta.  That cheese is not processed at all.  Nope.  Not at all.  Mmmmmmmm, Velveeta.

Kraft introduced Velveeta process cheese loaf in 1928 describing it as: "A delicious Cheese Food consisting of Kraft Process American Cheese with added milk sugar, milk minerals and water."  Wow, I'll say it's delicious.  Kraft won't actually tell you how they make it or exactly what goes into it.  I, for one, don't want to know. 

There is a stigma about Velveeta.  I always feel a bit sheepish about reaching for the big loaf and plopping it into my cart.  Also, it is always in the weirdest places in the grocery store.  No one seems to know how to classify it since it is cheese, but doesn't need refrigeration.  When I get home with my loaf, I always hide it behind the cereal boxes.  Just in case some foodie examines my pantry and busts me with the goods.  I have a couple of recipes that ONLY works with Velveeta.  When people ask what kind of cheese is in the recipe, I reply that it is usually a blend of cheeses.  No lie.  That's what Kraft says.  I've tried other cheeses, and they don't compare, so I am a purchaser, but probably only buy 2 loafs per year. However, there are those that embrace their relationship with Velveeta. About 5% of the population buys about 75% of all Velveeta sold in the United States.  I personally know several of them.

Funny how I go from talking about diet food right on to Velveeta.  It explains so much.  I didn't cheat today, but wasn't able to work out do to aforementioned crappy feeling, but will let you know the results in the morning.

Happy Dieting!

This is usually about the time that I pour my first glass of wine.  Sigh. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard that Velveeta is actually a clear color and Kraft adds the orange color for apparence. Who cares, chili con queso would not be the same if it where a murky pink color! Hail the "special cheese"!

Glad you're back!

Lori

Anonymous said...

Good old Velveeta!! Without coloring Velveeta is an off white color. Pretty much all cheese that is yellow has been colored that way, if not it would be white or off white depending on the season and what the cows were feeding on.

Now aren't you glad you read that!

Ron E

Melissa said...

Ew. Thanks, Ron.