Thursday, February 5, 2009

You know it's time to go back to work when:

  • Nothing in your laundry needs to be folded, ironed, or even hung up because it consists of sweats, workout wear, bike shorts, etc.  EVERYTHING in the laundry. 
  • You know more intimate details about the mailman, next door neighbor, guard, and meat guy at Albertsons then you ever wanted to know. 
  • Somedays you go a full 12 hours without adult conversation.
  • Your dry cleaners quits sending you birthday cards.
  • Neiman Marcus, Saks, and Nordstrom don't call anymore to tell of an upcoming sale.
  • It actually hurts to wear any other shoe other than running shoes or Uggs.
  • Your car doesn't automatically go to the mall.
  • Your car is dirty (I used to get my car washed at the airport when I traveled).
  • You haven't been to the Hampton Inn Manager's reception in 6 months.
  • You don't know the menu at Applebee's anymore.
  • You lose your Premier Executive status on the airline and have to board in Group 3 like all the other Plebians.
  • You pack too much to go on a trip because you have lost your packing prowess.
  • You haven't actually done anything to your hair other than put it in a ponytail in months.
  • You're tired of being the house bitch.  Doing everything by yourself because your are not "working."
  • You're really tired of cooking dinner every night and never going out (remind me of this later when I'm going out to eat for the 6th day in a row entertaining clients).
  • Your bank account is so low, when you go to check your balance online, moths fly across your screen.

Hopefully, I will have something soon to share on the subject of my employment.  For now, I am going on a bike ride at 10:00 am on a Thursday BECAUSE I CAN.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for outlining my "soon to be life"....don't forget me when you go back to the corporate world. I will need to live vicariously through you. Gravy says Hi....yes she is the only one I talk to for the next 12 hours.--Krys

Suzanne-Michele said...

I've been off work since October, and almost every one of these resonated with me...as I sit here typing this in my fuzzy robe and wool socks. At first I was domestically ambitious and cleaned obsessively. Now, I am desperately seeking outside stimulation!!

Anonymous said...

Suzanne:
Don't get too ambitious because then they will expect that of you!! Better to set expectations low from the beginning.

Anonymous said...

I would just like to try being unemployed and idol for a while...unfortunately that will never happen in my line of work. I don't have any kids unless you count my patients whom I must bathe, dress, change, and feed, kinda like kids. So I guess not working would actually get me OUT of the childcare business. My job never entails glamourous things like airports, managers cocktail parties, or menu's at Applebees. The only store that would call me would be the online scrub stores. IF it makes you feel better, I am actually jealous of your obsessive cleaning and fuzzy robes. And really jealous of Gravy. No, not Ham gravy Melissa! My Niece Gravy!---Ginny