Monday, August 18, 2008

in search of produce with taste

I'm constantly complaining during the summer months that I can't get good produce.  It looks pretty.  It has all the right shapes and colors.  It just has no taste. The produce tastes the same in January as it does in August.  I remember going to my Grandfather's backyard to pick tomatoes, and you could smell the vines that had that delicious summer tomato smell.  He wasn't too fond of us depleting the crop, so we would sit outside by the vines and eat them raw while he was napping.  Occasionally, he would take pity on us and Grandma would fix us a sandwich with bacon and tomatoes.  MMMMMMMMMMMM

So, I'm complaining to Krys the other day as she is bragging about her corn she's been eating everyday.  Andy's Candy Corn from Columbus, Nebraska.  If you're at work and find yourself with nothing to read, you can find his story here: http://www.goodnatured.net/our_story/pdf_newsletters/July-15-2006.pdf

So, the next day via Fed Ex, I receive a load of corn.

corn

Thanks, Krys and Ben!!!  We tried tomatoes once but I was in the middle of a move and they went to the unoccupied house.  By the time I retrieved it, they had turned into salsa. Since I'm no quitter, I think we should try again.  The corn was awesome and made it even sweeter that my friend was thinking of my produce needs.

Every year I say I'm going to plant a garden.  Then, I look outside.  The dirt here isn't really dirt as much as rock, and sand.  It is the desert, after all.  Things weren't really supposed to live here.  Only neon.  Why can't my neighbor plant a garden and then leave town for a month during the summer?  That's really what I'm after. 

So, my friends out there who live in black dirt land, it is time to rally.  There are only a few short weeks left until you will be in produce hell yourselves.  I know how that crop abundance can be quite a burden, and I'm here to help.  I'm home most days during Fed Ex hours and would be glad to take it off your hands.  Really, I'm here for you.  I promise next year, when my neighbor leaves town, I'll pay you back.

No comments: