Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hoping i'm busier this year...

During the first week of school last year, we get a note home asking the parents and the kids to sign a new policy and add it to our ever-increasing Gestapo list of policies and procedures (note must be signed by both parents and kids to remove any loophole).

It reads:

LIMOUSINE POLICY

Students may not be picked up or dropped off at school by limousines for after school activities including birthday parties, dances, group trips, etc.

I’m pretty sure this does not actually happen in parts of the Midwest where I grew up. If we saw a limousine driving through town, we always pointed and wondered what rock star was all ginned up trying to drive Route 66 to live out a song fantasy and got lost. In reality, it was probably just the mortuary.

Two weeks later at school, I saw a limousine every morning at drop off and every afternoon at pick up. I’m incensed. I signed the damn paper, why doesn’t everyone have to sign it and adhere to the rigid policies that make this school great? Since I was "consulting" and didn't have much to do, I march into the office and demand to know what the hell is going on with the limousine. Well, Little Johnny has to take the limo to school as this is his only means of transportation. Poor little fellow. Oh, and if you re-read the policy for you lawyer types, it precludes limos from before and after school activities, not school itself.

This is where the school recommends some volunteer agencies that might find good use of my time. None involve law firms.

No comments: