Friday, August 15, 2008

Baby Condiment

(Ok, more of a sauce, really)

One of my best friends in the entire universe whom I've known since middle school, Krys (HI KRYS), is pregnant. Over the weekend she took her 2 year old, Sofia, to the pool where she met a new friend named Willow. Willow introduced Sofia to her little sister, Prairie. Not to be outdone, Sofia said that her little sister's name was going to be Gravy.

Baby Gravy. 

Now, if Krys wants to get fancy, she could name her Gravee, or Gravey, or Gravi.  Nothing is off limits.  Seeing some of the names that parents give their children, I'm pretty sure that the Sofia method is better than most.

My sister works as an R.N. at a children's hospital, and you can't imagine some of the names these poor children are burdened with for life.  Two of the standouts, are Slam Willy, and Shatheed.  Except, Shatheed is the phonetic version because the parents decided to spell it S-H-I-T-H-E-A-D.

The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article about the Baby-name business.  People spend incredible amounts of money on baby name consultants, numerologists, or websites to help them name their baby.  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118247444843644288.html?mod=googlenews_wsj 

For a small fee, I'm available as well.  I have my own soon-to-be-patented method.  Taylor was a Grandmother's maiden name so hers was legit.  Nick's naming is treading on a very fine Slam Willy line of reasoning.  It may have something to do with dialogue in "The Sure Thing."


Lady in Car: What are you gonna name it?
Alison Bradbury: What?
Lady in Car: The baby.
Alison Bradbury: Well, if it's a girl, Cynthia, and if it's a boy, Elliot.
Lady in Car: Those are lovely names.
Walter (Gib) Gibson: Elliot? You're gonna name the kid Elliot? No, you can't name the kid Elliot. Elliot is a fat kid with glasses who eats paste. You're not gonna name the kid Elliot. You gotta give him a real name. Give him a name. Like Nick.
Alison Bradbury: Nick?
Walter (Gib) Gibson: Yeah, Nick. Nick's a real name. Nick's your buddy. Nick's the kind of guy you can trust, the kind of guy you can drink a beer with, the kind of guy who doesn't mind if you puke in his car, Nick.

 

No baby consultant here.  Just bad movies from the 80's.  Me and Sofia are here to help.

3 comments:

Ginny Newman said...

Melissa,
Blog is hysterical! If you ever write a book I will buy it-meanwhile I will read your blog. By the way, her name is Gravy Flowers-she has to have a middle name you know...
Ginny

Anonymous said...

Krys' mom, Bev, is my best friend and she sent me the link to your blog. You are one talented writer and I agree with Ginny - write a book and I'll buy it. But I'll also track you down for your autograph too! Keep writing - I'll keep reading.

Anonymous said...

Krys sent me the link to your blog, and I just thought I'd high five you on naming your son after that particularly inspiring bit of John Cusack dialogue circa 1983 (?) - that was exactly how my cat of 18 years, rest his little black soul, got his name...Nick. Kudos for going the extra mile and actually using the name for your kid. :) Peace