Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ok, I'm trying

I know I have been absent for awhile. There has been a lot going on. Lots of travel, sick family members, wedding showers, etc. I'm going to try to get back to writing.

We are going to start out with more triathlon training (yeaahhhh). I've just started training again for a triathlon in October. Somehow, since the last one I've managed to gain 10 pounds so that stops here. I wish I was at the weight I was when I was complaining I was fat. I'm working with the same coaches as before so that will be good. I'm going to try and log what I do everyday and hopefully that will spark a few stories.

Today I swam 3500 meters. Hmmm, no story.

My coaches suggested getting a new scale. I hate them for that. They suggested one of those fancy numbers that tell you percentage of body fat, metabolic age, and a bunch of other stuff I can't figure out because I can't get past the percentage of body fat. WHOA MAMMA! Have you ever been on one of those bastards? What kind of sick person came up with this tool? I'm guessing someone with 10% body fat. Now, I'm not giving out numbers but let's suffice it to say that it isn't pleasant. Also, probably not great for someone obsessed by their weight. If you lose a pound, then you can gain a pound of body fat. The whole thing is exhausting. I know it's not completely accurate, but yikes. Time to put down the fork, sister. It's just so hard when there is so much yummy food around. Bev set me up with a delicious meal over the weekend and some beautiful tomatoes which cried out for bacon. Of course, I had to oblige. It was my first bacon and tomato sandwich of the year. Based on today's scale numbers, it will also be the last. The few little jewels that came home with me on the airplane, will be eaten sans bacon. Dammit. Why does bacon have to be so tasty?

British scientists have pinpointed the exact chemical reaction that makes bacon so tasty. The Maillard reaction, which occurs between an amino acid and a reducing sugar when heated, releases the smells and flavors that make people salivate. Your mouth is watering now, isn't it?

In my many trips this month, I read the Spirit magazine on the Southwest flights. There was actually a drink made with bacon. Bacon flavored vodka and the garnish was a little piece of tightly wound bacon resembling a straw. Oh, you wrinkle your nose but you know you want to try it. In fact, everywhere I turn there are more and more ways to use bacon. America is in a sort of bacon explosion, and I can only applaud the expansion. I'm not, however, applauding the expansion of my waistline but to be fair to bacon, I don't think it is entirely to blame. I have recently seen bacon-flavored coffee. Now, we could get our entire breakfast from our coffee. If you had someone who had pancake flavored coffee, you could switch off and have a great breakfast - all with very few calories. For dessert, there is chocolate covered bacon. Mmmmmmm. Right when all the great bacon recipes are emerging, I have to watch my bacon input. It's so unfair.

Wake up, America. Embrace the Bacon Explosion. To fully enjoy it, I don't suggest buying one of those stupid scales.

1 comment:

Tammy Kirks said...

My sister says that people who claim they don't like bacon are liars. I agree. Even my vegetarian friends will comment that bacon is the one meat they miss and can't be replicated in soy.