Monday, February 1, 2010

The Sun will Come Out, Tomorrow

Taylor has been performing in Annie the past four days, and has another 4 days to go this weekend.  Seriously, you would think it was actually on Broadway.  She doesn't have big parts this time, but her comedic timing always manages a couple of laughs from the audience.  Let me talk about their schedule.  Last week, she had to be at the theatre from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm for tech rehearsals, and then from 5:00 to 9:45 the nights of the show.  Yes, we still have school.  Oh, and since Taylor is on the dance team at school, she still has to attend those practices.  One was at 6:30 am after being at the theatre until 10:00 the night before.  Needless to say, she was a little cranky.  We scattered like rats when she came home at night.  She is also in the school production of High School Musical, but needless to say, that has been the thing that suffered the most.  Maybe next week...

I don't know how many of you have kids in these productions, but it is a whole other world.  Not one I really saw myself being involved in.  There are certain mothers who live for this.  They love to see the show every night.  For those of you keeping track, that would be eight shows.  Eight.  The show is good, but the only thing worth repeating eight times in a row would be, Twister  or Independence Day.  Eight.  I'm seeing it twice.  Twice.  Thinking I deserve a brownie point for that.  On the nights I'm not watching, I'm volunteering backstage.  OMG.  Some of those women get a little taste of power and they are SCARY.  I feel sorry for some of the kids as they are railroaded by these women.  I don't really follow the rules all that well which prompted a blanket email from the director.  I knew it was targeting me.  I think they should be grateful that I'm willing to help, and if I choose to ignore the scary women, so be it.  I'm backstage sewing for goodness sake.  This from the woman that either has to throw away the shirt that looses a button, or pay the dry cleaners to put it back on.  I got in trouble because I was sewing a belt back on a white dress and had poked myself and bled on the white dress.  Do you think anyone can see a couple of blood stains from a finger prick from 20 feet away.  Calm down, already.  Maybe I should just sit in the audience.  One night I had to, by contractual obligation with the theatre, sit and guard the doors during the show.  Really?  This is children's theatre.  Is someone going to sneak in?  I mean, we aren't hiding Beyonce in there.  It would make more sense to guard the doors on the inside to make sure no one sneaks out early.   

They had all the "adult" roles wear fake eyelashes.  It reminded me of a little show Taylor likes.  Has anyone seen Toddlers and Tiaras?  It is a show on TLC about little kids in beauty pageants.  Talk about scary Stage Moms.  These little kids have fake eyelashes, spray tans, fake teeth, etc.  If you haven't seen it, add it to the ole DVR.  It will be worth your time.  So, Taylor is playing all boys parts in Annie.  Are the fake eyelashes and make up important?   Um, yes they are.  This is her bum costume.  Pretty cute Bum. Will get photos of her favorite costume, which is the nerd costume, of course.  Her favorite role.

Taylor in Annie

I find being a Mom challenging enough without being a Stage Mom on top of that.  I'm not concerned about her next audition, or needing voice lessons, or acting lessons or any of that.  Although I think she's funny, the chances of her making it in that profession are very slim.  I always tell her she needs a back up plan.  Maybe a doctor.  She can do stand up on the weekends. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The BUM is sooo cute! She could be my little bum any day and I would take care of her as long as we could only watch Toddlers and Tiara's all day with no dancing rehersals/productions or any of that, isn't that the true definition of Bum?--Krys

Tara said...

Awwww...she is sooo cute! O sure now she is into this stuff when I am not there....and yes you are sooo not the stage mom...I never thought you would even come close...You should check out the show little miss perfect...that is just some scary stuff.