Friday, August 7, 2009

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs

Let me get this straight because I never really thought about it before.  The bird on the Cocoa Puff commercial, Sonny, can't eat the Cocoa Puffs because he will go crazy. If I get it, that's the premise. Only, he always does and goes crazy anyway.  What kind of trouble does he create when he has one of his "episodes?"  He doesn't break stuff, doesn't make a mess, and doesn't seem to screw up any relationships.  I will admit that it is a tad annoying, but isn't it nice to see some people just cut loose occasionally?  Don't you think it's funny when the person you never see drink has one too many?  I mean it's not funny when they make a total ass of themselves, but cutting loose isn't something to be ashamed of.  This damn bird has had to live a lie for the past 40 years.  He's like the closet smoker of breakfast cereals.  You know he's going to eat it and go crazy, so just embrace it and let him.  This ad campaign has been on my entire life, and I just thought it through for the first time today.  Now, if it takes over 40 years of seeing a commercial hundreds, if not thousands of times to get the premise, do you count that a success?  If I bought Cocoa Puffs, it wasn't because of Sonny.  It was only because they were little puffs of chocolatey goodness. 

I say let the bird eat the damn puffs.  Go crazy.

No comments: